VSSA needs volunteers. We desperately need new board members wiling to serve and volunteer time. We are powered by anglers donating their time and energy to make recreational saltwater fishing more enjoyable for anglers, family members, children, and hopefully for our children’s children. Please consider volunteering to help us out. We have only begun to chip away at our goals. Here is a partial list:
- Significantly improve artificial reefs in the bay, nearshore, and offshore even if it mean we do it ourselves.
- License money only for angler programs not salaries of state agencies.
- Public hearings in the evenings so the public can attend, not in the middle of the day when we are at work.
- Responsible menhaden commercial fishing.
- Get menhaden management out of the General Assembly and into VMRC where all other fish are managed.
- Term limits for the Virginia Menhaden Board representatives. Current reps have been there way too long.
- Reasonable limits for fish that balance conservation with bag limits based on sound science.
- Fishery management plans that the public can understand not requiring degrees in fishery management to understand.
- Oh and the fish, cobia, striped bass, flounder, BSB, tilefish, trout, drum, tog, and even the lowly croaker and spot. We love our fish but they way things are going we won’t be able to keep anything in the near future.
- How can we help the charter industry, tackle shops, boat dealers and the entire marine industry that is needed to keep our fishing strong for us and our children.
- Continue online live fishing seminars.
- Support and strengthen our local fishing clubs.
- And much much more but can’t do much with just a handful of volunteers. We need help.
No experience necessary, just a drive and passion for Sportfishing in Virginia. We need the following:
Board members and officers. All positions are open including officers. These positions must be voted in by members in April 2021. Members vote for general board members. Then the first meeting after elections the board members decided on who will be the officers and who remain as general board members. VSSA board meets the 2d Wednesday of each month via teleconference so no need to travel.
Charter Captain Representative Board Member. The Virginia Charter Boat Association (VCBA) folded and disbanded. VSSA assumed the members of VCBA and are now representing the charter industry. We need a charter captain volunteer to serve on the board to represent the charter industry concerns.
Public Affair Officer. We are seeking an individual who can write good articles and liaison with the press, newspapers, TV news, magazine and other online publications. If you have a knack for writing, please consider volunteering this position.
General Admin Work. Just plain old help out with general housekeeping tasks to keep the place running smooth.
Fund Raising Committee. We need a handful of volunteers to help out with fund raising activities.
Calendar. We need a dedicated calendar volunteer to ensure the VSSA calendar is totally up to date
Government Affairs. One of the standing committees, which will be permanent for the VSSA, will be the Government Affairs Advisory Committee. This standing committee is envisioned to the heart and soul of the VSSA to stay on top of all fishery management related issues. We are currently seeking volunteers for this standing committee. The chair and co-chairs’ responsibilities will be to stay abreast of all government actions that affect the species, attend meetings, brief the board, prepare position papers, present VSSA positions at meetings, solicit positions/polls from VSSA members, and keep all VSSA members abreast of all issues relating to the species. The way VSSA intends to function is this committee develops the draft position on the various species by soliciting input from VSSA members after gathers all available information on the species. The VSSA position on any given species will be that of the majority of its members ensuring no minority personal agendas are pushed through. These positions may call for increased bag limits, decreased bag limits, or status quo. These are not elected positions, but must be approved by the VSSA board. If you are interested in serving in one of these positions, please do so by email to email@example.com or fill out the form below. The board will consider all volunteers and let you know if you have been selected. If you don’t desire to volunteer, please forward this email to anyone you think might be a good fit for these positions.
We want to have elections and committees filled by April 12, 2021. Please fill out this form today and a VSSA rep will be in contact with you.