TwitterFacebookYouTubeEmail

Menhaden General Assembly Positions

We are asking everyone to contact their representative in both the House and Senate and ask if they support menhaden conservation in the Chesapeake Bay.  Please go to this website to find out who your representatives are:  https://www.virginia.gov/services/whos-my-legislator/

Then ask at a minimum the following questions and report back a summary of your conversation in the appropriate section below.  

1.   Are you aware that a single foreign owned company in Reedville, VA is taking large numbers of menhaden from the Chesapeake Bay?
  2.   Are you aware this company is over the bay quota set by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission (ASMFC)?
  3.   Would you support a bill to move management from the GA to VMRC who manages every other saltwater fish in Virginia?
  4.   Would you be willing to contact other Senators / Delegates to gather support for this bill?
  5.   Do you consent to this conversation being summarized on the open web for voters to see?

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Wendy Gooditis favorable responses 10/13/19

1. What is your view on the current menhaden population in the Chesapeake Bay?

I believe we need to abide by menhaden quotas to protect the population of menhaden and other species in the Chesapeake. I do not think the menhaden population is immune to overfishing.

1. How do you view the connection between the Industrial harvest of menhaden and a diminished striped bass population?

I have no reason to doubt the assessments made by marine biologists about the impact of industrial menhaden harvesting on the striped bass population.

1. What is your view on the Commonwealth of Virginia not complying with the ASMFC directed limit on the Industrial harvest of Menhaden in the Chesapeake Bay?

In 2019 I voted in committee to require the Commonwealth to comply with ASMFC on the limit on menhaden harvest. I would do so again, as I believe the long-term interests of our communities relies on reasonable and sustainable limits for harvesting our marine resources.

1. Do you support the continuation of menhaden management by the state legislature, and why or why not? More directly do you/will you support transferring the management of the menhaden fishery to the VMRC?

I support transferring management to the VMRC because it would be more consistent with the management of other marine species on our coastline. 

1. What will, or what should Virginia do if the 2019 ASMFC menhaden quota for Chesapeake Bay is exceeded by the reduction industry?

Virginia should change its statutes in the next legislative session to require compliance with ASMFC.

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail